Halloween Cupcake Ideas
Bring your Halloween cupcake ideas to fruition, and bake a variety of treats for your next ghostly gala. Have fun and get creative with frosting and toppings. Bake ghost cupcakes, mummy cupcakes, and spider cupcakes for a “spookalicious” display of yummy treats!
Before you start baking, set the stage for your party with online Halloween party invitations you can send via text or email. Customize your favorite Halloween invitation, send from any digital device, and gather RSVPs in minutes.
Here are Halloween cupcake designs that will add a festive touch to your event:
- Ghosts: Make Halloween cupcakes for kids that resemble ghosts and ghouls. Use ingredients such as chocolate cake mix, chocolate frosting, Nutter Butter cookies, white chocolate Hershey kisses, Oreo cookies, and black frosting. Bake the cupcakes with the chocolate cake mix. Once cool, frost the cupcakes with chocolate frosting. Melt the white chocolate Hershey kisses, and dip the Nutter Butter cookies to create a white chocolate coating. Set the white chocolate covered cookie on the frosted top of the cupcake. That’s your ghost! Use the black frosting to create two circles on the ghost cookie for the eyes. Finally, crush the Oreo cookies and sprinkle the crumbs around the ghost cookie to look like dirt.
- Graveyard: Give your guest a sweet treat with these graveyard Halloween cupcakes! Start with any flavor cupcake you’d like. Find a black cupcake wrapper to give it a spooky feel. Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, top with white marshmallow frosting and sprinkle with chocolate shavings or cocoa powder. Top with candy pumpkins, or make your own fondant shapes using the steps further below. For the “RIP” gravestone, use a fondant shape decorated with hand-lettered icing. You could even make a paper gravestone topper that guests can remove before eating.
- Mummies: Looking for scary Halloween cupcakes? Mummy cupcakes are the answer! Gather chocolate cake mix, chocolate frosting, yellow frosting, black frosting, and white fondant frosting. Bake cupcakes with the chocolate cake mix. Once cool, frost the cupcakes with the chocolate frosting. Make mummy eyes with two dots of yellow frosting and small dots of black frosting on top. Slice white fondant frosting into strips that resemble mummy bandages. Place the white fondant strips horizontally on the cupcake. Be sure to keep the eyes visible.
- Spiders: Create Halloween spider cupcakes with white cake mix, dark chocolate or orange frosting, and festive decorations. Top your creepy crawly creations with spider or spiderweb cake picks. Alternatively, create the body of your spider with the cupcake and then use black licorice to form the legs!
- Witches: Create a bewitching Halloween dessert! Witch Halloween cupcakes are a great way to incorporate a classic Halloween symbol into your baking. Decorate the tops of your cupcakes with green icing and add small pieces of candy to create a witch face cupcake, or top them with witch hats made of fondant frosting.
Here are a few easy steps to make the frightfully cute Witch’s Hat Cupcakes pictured below:
1. For the cupcakes, follow baking instructions for your favorite chocolate cake mix.
2. Once completely cooled, top them with bright orange frosting and black or purple sprinkles.
3. For the finishing touch, get creative with fondant! This may take a bit of practice, as working with fondant can be tricky. Here are some tips:
- Make sure to sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar or corn starch on your work surface to make it less sticky. Keep your hands dusted too!
- Start with a ball of black fondant for the top of the hat, and roll it between your hands to make a cone. Bend and shape the tip of the witch’s hat.
- The base is made with another ball, flattened out. For the band and buckle, use orange fondant that you’ve rolled thin. Just cut out strips and squares using a sharp knife.
- To stick them all together, brush a thin coat of water on one of the two pieces and press them together, You can also reinforce the base to the top with a toothpick. Have fun with it!
Another delightfully spooky idea is to make Witch’s Legs Cupcakes! Use the instructions above, with a few small changes. For these, use vanilla cake mix and bright green or orange frosting. Using a similar method with the fondant, make the two legs and shoes. If you can’t get the stripes on the legs just right, try using a solid color orange or purple instead.
Love this article?
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now